Saturday, March 21, 2009

An eventful climax for an otherwise not so eventful story....

10:30 AM EST – I was waiting in front of the Logan International Airport in Boston. I’d been in Boston for 5 weeks for an official training and there was I, waiting to go back to Minneapolis after the training. I was having a nail biting wait (not literally ofcourse, I’d left this habit of biting my nails long back) here for my team mate who had also come for the training and was coming in another cab to the Airport. Both of our cabs started at the same time, but he was no where to be even after 20 minutes after I reached the Terminal. My flight was at 11:25 and here was I standing outside the terminal, still not checked in my luggage and the time was 10:45. Then came my team mate dragging his luggage and coming towards the Terminal. Phew!!! He’d come at last…. He then told me that his cab driver had dropped him in a different terminal and he had to walk back to our terminal.

We thought of doing a curb side check in. It’s 2$ extra, but actually worth it…. It’s better than standing in the queue inside and that too checking the luggage at the last minute. Time was 10:50. The lady at the check-in counter told that though the ticket was issued by US Airways, the flight is operated by United airlines and so we need to check in at the United airlines counter. And the worse part was United airlines is not in the same terminal. The lady at the counter told me that I need to walk a while, then go downstairs and then try to get a cab to the United airlines terminal. Time was 10:55. I thought, that I’m gonna miss the flight or atleast I would not be able to check-in my luggage for my flight now.

Luckily, a cab came to drop somebody at the US Airways terminal and we took that cab to go to United airlines terminal. We reached the United airlines counter at 11:05.We rushed to the check-in counter and I checked in my bag. Then came another bomb. My bag was overweight. The guy at the check-in counter said “Either take out some stuffs or if you wanna still check in, you need to pay 125$ for that. Boarding has already started for the flight”. I had no other option that to take out some junk stuffs which I’ve packed. Time was 11:10.

We then dashed to the Security check area. Luckily there was no major crowd at both the check-in counter and the Security check area, so, we were able to reach the gate at 11:18. Boarding was almost over and we were the last to board the flight. When I finally dumped my carry-on luggage inside the cabin and sat down on my seat, the idea of writing a blog on this came to my mind. What an eventful way to conclude an otherwise not so eventful trip to Boston. Such eventful things rarely happen to me, you see…. :-)

12 comments:

Unknown said...

ithu ellaam oru kathai...i wasted my 10 minutes in reading this :P but nice one prash ;)

Karthik S said...

good narration :)..but i didnt like the climax of the story. the apt climax should have been u missing the flight and ur flight taking the flight to mpls.

Unknown said...

Interesting and fortunate :). They let you check in 15 mins before flight departure. In one of my experience, I was denied check-in 25 mins before departure. And what were the junk stuff that u were able to get rid of ? :)

KR said...

good one Prash :)... adventurous....aana the way u had written, i thought u wud have missed the flight or atleast they wud have stopped u from boarding nu ninaichen :).......

arvind said...

adengapppaaaaaa

Unknown said...

It was a good read..... tnk god that you didnt miss the flight

Unknown said...

Once in a while, these things should happen. It makes life interesting...

Archana Ramanathan said...

When i was reading, i expected the climax to be that the flight was delayed & you din't have had to go through such a rush :)

Unknown said...

Seems like a very good experience sis. I hope you learned the lesson ;)

rajaji said...

nice prash...
any other good lessons u learnt from the incident other than being on time??

and yeah, you could've come up with a different climax for the sake of the thrill! like missing the check-in, catching the flight on the runway and clinging on to the wings of the plane jus like our 'Ilaya Thalapathy' does in 'Villu'!! :-P

Balaji Srinivasan said...

you have wonderfully narrated the whole incident.
but we guys are thoroughly spoiled by the "woods" of this country - bollywood, kollywood & tollywood - that we expect action, drama, comedy(& songs too) in posts like these.

Unknown said...

lucky you!!! i was surprised that they even let you checkin so late....that's definitely eventful:) i had similar experience 3 ago when they pitifully let me board after they saw me running to the gate...